Dallas, TX US
Area of Interest:
Texas Health Dallas
Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas has a full time opportunity to support the Cerebrovascular Lab, specifically in Alzheimer’s Disease prevention trial.
Required minimum education:
Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Physiology, Human Physiology, Kinesiology or other science related discipline required. Masters Preferred.
Required minimum experience:
Previous experience or completion of a research project course including data management analysis preferred.
Demonstrated verbal and written ability to communicate effectively and professionally across disciplines. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Must demonstrate strong customer service skills. Ability to accomplish results and achieve organizational outcomes and goals. Good organizational and project management skills with the ability to work in a fast paced environment. Basic word processing, database, graphics and spreadsheet applications skills. Basic knowledge of research methodology preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
BCLS - Basic Cardiac Life Support required upon hire
Job Duties and Essential Functions:
Under the direction of the senior research associate or research project investigator coordinate subject or patient participation as outlined in protocol and assist with research projects as assigned.
• Explain research study purpose and conduct structured interviews with participants.
o Recruit study participants and schedule interview.
o Conduct structured interviews with participants.
o Assure completeness and accuracy of information obtained.
o To explain the study to the participant and obtain written consent for participation.
• Clearly instructs the subjects or patients as to the protocol of testing, allows ample opportunity for questions
and concerns; consults the investigator or physician regarding risks or further details
• Able to explain test procedures, objectives, and environmental conditions associated with research or clinical
protocols to ensure proper data collection
• Coordination of staff needed to perform the project
• Communicates clearly with senior research associate, project investigator and appropriate staff members
regarding protocol requirements, special conditions or procedures to ensure studies are performed
o Establish standardized testing protocol and criteria for referral
o Obtains all appropriate orders and consent forms available and signed prior to testing per policy and
procedures or protocol
• Data compilation and analysis
o Accurately and precisely records all necessary data for research or clinical protocols. Maintains the
approved file structure
o Assist with data collection, reduction, entry files, and
o Assist with basis data analysis, including plotting and basic statistics as outlined by the senior research associate or project investigator
• Assist with presentation and publication
o Assists with preparing data for presentation and publication
o Coordinate preparation activities related to research presentation
Constructs, assembles, and operates experimental or specially designed laboratory equipment using specialized knowledge
• Ability to competently operate and calibrate basic testing equipment, such as recorders, ECG, oximeter, cycle, treadmill, computers, and software
• Perform basic testing measurements, such as oxygen uptake, cardiac output, ECG monitoring, ear oximetery, etc
• Perform specialty studies as directed by investigator or physician
• Regularly maintains laboratory in functional state
• Maintains adequate quality control and quality assurance programs, including performance of biological
calibrations, appropriate records, laboratory procedure manuals, calibration instructions and documentation;
and equipment repair logs as directed by the senior research associate or department leadership.
• Maintains proper function of equipment to ensure accurate and reliable measures
? inventories and maintains adequate stock of routine technical supplies
• Troubleshoots minor technical tasks and submit requests for repairs to the appropriate engineer or vendor
representative. Provide status updates to staff and leadership.
• Facilitate major equipment repairs and/or troubleshooting; notify impacted staff members as well as
leadership of the issue and the anticipated timeframe for repair.
• Regularly clean equipment and schedule preventative maintenance for all equipment as requested by
• ? Identify ineffective, costly processes and take action to resolve these issues.
Under the direction of leadership coordinate and assist with research program development activities.
• Under the direction of leadership, coordinate and assist with conducting standardized tests required for the
development of hardware and software.
• Ensure development records are complete and annotated.
• Perform basic fabrication work as requested.
• Obtains test subject for biological validation of non-invasive protocols required to develop new software or
• Demonstrates knowledge of emergency preparedness codes and appropriately respond to code situations
• Recognizes safety hazards and adheres to safety protocols, guidelines and/or policies.
• Performs research and clinical tests according to policy and procedures or as outlined by senior research
associate, project investigator or leadership.
• Recommends new or modified techniques or procedures in order to obtain the desired results
• Provides a safe environment for scientific and medical research on humans with in accordance with project
guidelines or protocols
• Continues to learn how to perform invasive procedures in order to assist the physician
Oversight of Students and Visitors:
Responsible for orientation and education of students and visitors to IEEM ensuring compliance with department, entity and system policies and procedures.
• Provide overview of department, entity and system policies and procedures.
• Review lab guidelines with students and visitors.
• Monitor compliance with policies and procedures.
• Demonstrates cooperative relationships by showing willingness to support team members
• Utilizes positive, one-on-one, first party communication to receive and to communicate concerns and takes
• Accepts and negotiates changes as needed to promote quality
• Attends required meetings
• Participates in hospital initiatives (i.e. fund raising events and community events)
• Serves on hospital and system based committees as appropriate
• Maintains current licensure and certification as required by position.
• Adheres to hospital and system policies.
• Completes mandatory training and annual employee health screening timely.
• Maintains safety of the work environment and utilizes appropriate safety techniques.
• Recognizes and communicates ethical and legal concerns through the established channels of communication.
• Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations.
• Demonstrates accountability and responsibility by independently completing projects/assignments on time and
providing timely responses to requests for information.
• Maintains confidentiality at all times.
• Performs other work as requested that is reasonably related to the employee's position, qualifications, and competencies.
Located at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas, the Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine contains 40,000 sq ft of research and office space, with 7 major laboratories supported by
approximately 40 technical staff. Our broad areas of interest include environmental physiology (temperature regulation, high altitude physiology, hyperbaric medicine, water immersion), respiratory physiology, cardiovascular regulation, neural control of the circulation, muscle metabolism, and neurocognitive science. Each laboratory, led by a specific faculty member, has both a research focus and a clinical application; as such, this institute is one of a very few clinical research centers in the world that fosters the fusion of basic science and clinical medicine in a program designed specifically to study human physiology.