Plano, TX US
Area of Interest:
Texas Health Plano
Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Plano, a 366-bed Magnet-designated hospital and recognized clinical leader, is hiring a full time Nurse Supervisor for the OR.
Work Hours/ Schedule: M - F, 6:30am to 3:00pm with Administrative Call
Minimum Education Required: Associates in nursing, with BSN highly preferred
Minimum Experience Required: 2 years experience as a clinical nurse with previous experience as a charge nurse or similar leadership role
Minimum Licensure/Certifications Required: RN, BCLS and ACLS upon hire. PALS after 6 months
Minimum Required Skills: A high degree of confidentiality, positive interpersonal skills, and ability to function in a fast-paced environment.
Quality/Performance Improvement: Collaborates with Leadership, UBC, and appropriate team members to establish, implement, and monitor department policies/procedures, facilitate unit goals, evaluate and individualize patient care and provide direction to staff to promote quality outcomes.
• Engages staff to promote evidence based practices within the unit.
• Monitors key performance indicators (KPI’s) and regulatory requirements for compliance.
• Provides bedside leadership and clinical expertise to improve quality of patient care.
• Provides safe direct patient care in coordination with other staff when unit activity dictates.
• Provide guidance in emergency or complex situations.
• Use appropriate methodology consistently for communication handoffs.
• Evaluates the outcome of patient care, consults with others on the patient care team, and adjusts nursing care processes as needed to improve outcomes.
• Manages and monitors patient and staff safety initiatives and outcomes.
• Performs pro-active risk assessments to identify potential issues.
• Models the use of High Reliability Organization (HRO) tools in everyday practice and situations and encourages staff do the same.
• Assists with development and serves as a resource to others for new system and entity based initiatives. Support ongoing sustainment of these changes.
Shared decision making: This role provides bedside leadership on a particular unit or units and shift, coordinating patient flow, patient care and assignments. Responsible for assisting the manager/director with human resource management to include evaluations, coaching, mentoring, recruitment, retention, education and orientation. Works with manager/director to control costs and manage department budget and productivity.
• Facilitates patient/nurse assignments based on volume, acuity and skill mix, and provides coordination of patient care on nursing unit while maintaining productivity standards.
• Facilitates patient flow for the unit.
• Provides continuous constructive feedback and timely annual performance evaluations to staff.
• Participates in progressive disciplinary action process with Manager/Director and staff.
• Uses Performance Management Guide appropriately.
• Supports retention strategies and objectives and assists with recruiting and hiring of potential staff.
• Collaborates with manager and educator or CNS to provide staff orientation, education and on-going competency assessment.
• Participates in the development and monitoring of the budget and seeks opportunities for cost containment and achievement of KPI’s.
• Collaborates with physicians, staff, hospital departments, and outside agencies to provide patient care.
• Participates in policy development and mentors staff regarding policies and procedures, and regulatory requirements.
• Gathers staff input during rounding, and completes direct report journaling
Patient and Family Centered Care: Effectively communicates with patients, families and other healthcare team members by incorporating the 8 caring factors in the Quality Caring Model which include: basic human needs, human respect, encouraging manner, affiliation needs, mutual problem solving, healing environment, attentive
reassurance and appreciation of unique meaning.
• Creates shift assignments, initially and throughout the shift reflecting consideration of the nurses skill level and patient’s need.
• Effectively evaluate the care each shift, on every patient to ensure the patient’s needs are being addressed to ensure a high quality experience.
• Maintain a constant state of awareness for opportunities to address ongoing patient and family needs.
• Advocate for patients and families to ensure they have a voice in their care decisions.
• Demonstrates the ability to use available data and critical thinking skills to address urgent needs of the patient.
(For example MEWS & SIRS Scores)
• Fosters an environment to promote patient and family centered care through purposeful hourly rounding, bedside
shift report, updated care boards, and leader rounds.
• Recognizes/communicates ethical and legal concerns through established channels of communication.
• Uses H.E.A.R.T appropriately to address patient/family concerns
Teamwork: Incorporates THR philosophy in working with peers, and other members of the health care team.
Partners with physicians to advance physician engagement.
• Consistently models the THR Promise Behaviors.
• Actively Promotes unit based councils/committee structure and networks with peers to share ideas and conduct mutual problem solving.
• Participates in huddles, meetings, daily care briefings with other members of the healthcare team to facilitate
patient flow and optimum utilization of resources.
• Demonstrates effective communication skills with families, patients, physicians and other members of the healthcare team.
• Works in coordination with other staff when unit activity dictates, monitoring patient care and providing direction to staff to promote quality outcomes.
• Collaborates with physicians and other members of the healthcare team to promote safe individualized care as well as promoting accountability in enhancing the patient experience.
• Demonstrates advocacy for patients and staff.
• Facilitates staff member attendance at assigned meetings and projects
Professional Development: Assimilates leadership responsibilities on the unit and throughout the entity and/or
system. Promotes a positive image of Texas Health Nursing. Commits to autonomous maintenance and continuous
improvement of competence and serves as a role model to other healthcare team members. Holds self and other
accountable for highly reliable behavior.
• Demonstrates involvement in a professional organization, including certification in appropriate specialty if
• Actively participates in unit based, department, entity and/or system committees and task forces.
• Consistently promotes a professional image of nursing in demeanor, appearance, attitude and behavior. Is flexible
with scheduling to meet the needs of the department.
• Participates in community outreach activities.
• Demonstrates accountability and responsibility by independently completing projects/assignments on time.
• Leads or participates in required meetings.
• Promotes the Magnet/Pathways philosophy throughout the organization.
• Supports and promotes the Nursing Operations Plan.
• Engages in continuous learning and practice improvement by attending inservices and/or continuing education.
• Practice reflects current methodology supported by evidence based practice.
• Complies with THR policies and procedure in accordance with the Texas Nursing Practice Act and ANA Code of
Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Plano is a 366-bed, Magnet-designated hospital and recognized clinical leader, providing technologically advanced care to Plano, Frisco and surrounding communities since 1991. This full-service facility features a full range of specialties including emergency medicine, cardiology, adult and adolescent behavioral health, pediatrics, an adult intensive care unit, state of the art and technologically advanced surgical services and a Level III NICU. Texas Health Plano has more than 1,600 employees and over 1,360 physicians on its medical staff in more than 65 specialties. The hospital is an Advanced Level III Trauma Facility, accredited Chest Pain Center by The Joint Commission, named “Best Place to Have a Baby” in Collin County and a Gold-Level Mother Friendly business. Texas Health Plano is the recipient of the Disease Specific Care Certifications from the Joint Commission in Chest Pain, Joint Replacement – Hip and Joint Replacement – Knee and an Advanced Certification as a Primary Stroke Center. We invite you to join us in furthering your career and our accomplishments and philosophy of excellence.