Bedford, TX US
Area of Interest:
Texas Health Springwood
M-F Days with extended hours and weekends as necessary
Required Education: Master's Degree in Psychiatric Nursing OR Bachelor's Degree in Nursing and Master's Degree in Health Related field.
Experience Required: 5 years experience in psychiatric or chemical dependency nursing and 5 years of progressive leadership experience.
Current RN licensure or compact licensure recognized by the state of Texas. Current AHA BCLS.
CPI - Crisis Prevention Intervention Training within 30 days of hire.
ACPI - Advanced Crisis Prevention Intervention Training within 12 months of hire
Responsible for the development/implementation/evaluation of the Strategic Plan for areas of responsibility and
Participation of the development of the hospital Nursing Strategic Plan; participates actively in hospital Strategic
Plan development and implementation.
• Directs the development, implementation and evaluation of the Strategic Plan for areas of responsibility
annually, basing it on hospital and THR priorities and goals for improvement.
• Communicates plan and outcomes to hospital Leadership Team as required and assures that a
communication plan for staff is developed and implemented.
• Participates actively in the hospital nursing and the hospital strategic planning process, contributing ideas
and completing assignments as planned.
• Participates in the planning and development of new programs and services to meet needs of patients,
physicians and the community.
• Facilitates provision of equipment/supplies to support patient care and monitor costs and utilization.
Contributes to the Financial/Operational viability of hospital, meeting or exceeding financial and operational KPIs
for areas of responsibility.
• Directs the development of the Operating and Capital budgets of areas assigned, assuring compliance with financial targets identified and adequate allocation of resources to assure quality and safe patient care.
• Monitors and evaluates budget variances, taking corrective measures as appropriate.
• Communicates financial/productivity performance variances and actions plans to the hospital leadership team and assures that a communication plan for staff is developed and implemented.
• Monitors staffing productivity, identifies and evaluates patient care requirements based upon acuity, staffing matrixes and budgetary guidelines, and, monitors staffing variances.
Human Resource Management:
Responsible for establishing and directing effective utilization of human resources; assuring optimal competency and enhancing staff engagement in areas of responsibility.
• Meets or exceeds hospital Retention Goals.
• Creates and supports a structure for shared decision-making, including governance councils and Unit-BasedCouncils. All areas will demonstrate active participation.
• Demonstrates an improvement in Employee Engagement Surveys; works with managers to establish strategies to attain and surpass benchmark ratings.
• Increases the number of health care professionals with National or Advanced Certifications, meeting or
exceeding the NDNQI mean for each area.
• Evaluates staffing effectiveness and demonstrates responsiveness to issues.
• Demonstrates an annual increase in the participation of professional staff in the THR Career Advancement Program.
• Creates and supports professional staff development structure that is relevant and effective in promoting the competency of professional staff as evidenced by regulatory compliance and quality outcomes.
• Implements strategies to minimize the reliance on per diem and travel agency staff.
• Demonstrates enhanced relationships with schools of health care professionals
• Serves as role model and mentor.
• Recognizes staff using Applause and verbal/written feedback.
Responsible for enhancing the culture through patient satisfaction.
• Meets or exceeds Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey mean targets for reporting departments.
• Develops and implements strategies for improving customer satisfaction scores
• HCAHPS scores exceed the 75th percentile in all areas with consistent improvement and sustainability
towards the 90th percentile or above.
• Assures hardwiring of best practice strategies for optimal outcomes: Leader Listening Rounds/Thank you
notes; Clinical Leader Rounding; Hourly Rounding; use of White Boards, AIDET, etc.
• Leads the effort to improve and individualize the patient experience and to promote the competency of
staff in communicating empathy and caring.
• Leads interprofessional teams to establish best practices for patient-centered care.
Responsible for enhancing physician engagement at the hospital by promoting satisfaction with patient care and
promoting nurse-physician or professional –physician relationships and communication.
• Demonstrate an improvement of physician satisfaction scores for patient care at the hospital.
• Implement strategies to solicit physician concerns on an on-going basis and demonstrate responsiveness to
• Optimize opportunities to include physicians in resolving patient care issues and in
• Assure physician orientation to each unit.
• Partners with physicians to hardwire nurse and other disciplines rounding with physicians for maximum
collaboration and coordination of care.
• Establishes forums for frequent communication and collaboration with physicians; is responsive to issues
Quality, Patient Safety, and Regulatory:
Responsible for developing and/or enhancing quality improvement and patient safety efforts for nursing and other
areas assigned, assuring compliance with regulatory and licensing/accreditation bodies.
• Achieves THR/Hospital Quality Initiatives/KPIs.
• Implements Clinical Guidelines and Best Practices.
• Demonstrates implementation of Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research initiatives.
• Establishes quality KPIs and achieves goals in areas of responsibility.
• Participates in National Nursing Quality Data Initiatives and shows improvement in outcomes.
• Evaluates state of constant readiness for Joint Commission surveys and directs the development and
implementation of corrective action plans as necessary.
• Participates in hospital and medical staff quality councils, completing assignments on a timely basis.
• Evaluates clinical documentation compliance with Medicare and Corporate Compliance guidelines and
implements strategies to eliminate non-compliance.
• Actively participates in PI processes, providing leadership as necessary.
• Monitors for regulatory compliance and patient safety initiatives providing feedback as needed.
• Assists in the development of and compliance with nursing clinical practice guidelines, standards of care
and hospital policies and procedures.
Community Involvement and Professionalism:
Responsible for participating and contributing to the community involvement/visibility of the hospital and Patient
• Assures employee participation in THR and the hospital community initiatives
• Maintains positive visibility and involvement in community events and in regional, state, and national
• Promotes involvement of Direct reports in Community activities
• Serves as a mentor to staff in problem solving, decision making and planning activities.
• Leads hospital or system committees, task forces or teams.
• Demonstrates accountability and responsibility by independently completing projects/assignments on time
holding self and others accountable for meeting objectives and adhering to standards.
• Collaborates with Direct Reports to assure they have a personal/professional growth and development plan
to enhance knowledge, competencies, and professional practice.
• Pursues opportunities for personal growth and development through meetings and educational programs.
Promote a Culture of "Safe Choices" - Instills fair and just culture; one that supports an environment of
transparency, reporting, learning, a safe and supportive system of shared accountability and holds self and staff
accountable for the quality of their choices.
Completes investigations thoroughly and focuses on root causes; RLs completed within 30 days.
Addresses processes/issues and contributes to a department stop-light report that is kept to focus on
• Rounds and observes unsafe systems and ‘accidents waiting to happen’
• Addresses at risk and reckless behavior regardless of outcome, using algorithm correctly
• Refrains from prejudging an individual prior to investigation
• Intervenes in rumors and bullying behavior by staff
• Promotes a culture of open communication and trust.
• Promotes good catches and a culture of safe reporting for employees
• Conducts leadership listening rounds with assigned employees and follows through.
• Makes performance expectations very clear to staff, addresses breaches as they occur
Texas Health Springwood Behavioral Health Hospital is a 70 bed freestanding behavioral health hospital in Bedford, TX that offers psychiatric and addiction treatment for adults and adolescents. Texas Health Springwood also offers numerous outpatient programs either on site or at one of their satellite locations.