Bedford, TX US
Area of Interest:
Texas Health HEB
Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Hurst-Euless-Bedford is seeking a Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) or Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) PRN for their laboratory.
Generalist working all sections of the lab including blood bank
• PRN "As Needed"
• Variable shifts to include nights, weekends, and holidays.
Required Minimum Education:
• Associate Degree for a MLT or a Bachelor’s Degree for a MLS (or attained within 3 months of hire)
• Preferred: Associate of Science degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Lab Science or Chemical, Physical or Biological science (proof required)
Required Minimum Experience:
• Internship in an approved Medical Technician training program
• Two years’ experience in Clinical Lab preferred
• MLT (ASCP), MT (ASCP), or MLS (ASCP) or equivalent
• Registry must be passed within 3 months of hire date
• Preferred: MT(ASCP), MLS (ASCP)
• Strong positive interpersonal skills
• Ability to read, write and speak English clearly
• Problem solving ability, time management skills
• Possess organizational skills to function successfully in a fast paced work environment
• Computer literate
• Preferred: Experience with Cerner Millennium LIS
Job Duties (Include but not limited to):
• Specimens are correctly analyzed on chemistry analyzer. Specimens for AMI profiles are analyzed with attention given to timeliness and precision.
• Able to perform CBC and properly use instrumentation. Able to perform urinalysis included in microscopic exam. Able to evaluate specimens for acceptability and perform coagulation studies. Able to perform cell counts on body fluids including differentials and cytospin.
• Microbiology procedures are followed and specimens properly inoculated. Able to perform multiple microbiology tests.
• Able to perform blood bank procedures. Blood and blood products are issued to nurse. FFP is thawed and issued when ordered. Igloo is set up, monitored and broken down when necessary. Saline and computer printer paper is changed when needed. Platelets and Cryoprecipitate pooled when ordered for patient transfusion.
• Patient data is entered and retrieved through computer. Tests are performed in appropriate timeframe.
• Quality control is performed and criteria is followed. Maintenance is performed. Nurse is notified following proper protocol of "panic" values.
Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Hurst-Euless-Bedford is a 296-bed, acute-care facility serving Northeast Tarrant County since 1973. With more than 550 physicians on its medical staff, hospital services include outpatient surgery, women’s services, a Level III neonatal intensive care unit, a dedicated oncology unit and cardiac rehabilitation. Texas Health HEB recently received a dual accreditation as a Cycle IV Chest Pain Center and Heart Failure Center by the Society of Chest Pain Centers, is certified as a Primary Stroke Center and a designated "Baby Friendly" facility by WHO and UNICEF. Our location brings the best of suburban living, offering you the benefits of convenience and solid career opportunities.